Feeling like I accomplished nothing today just because I didn’t manage to do The One Thing (in this case, mowing the lawn), so here’s a list of what I *did* manage.
- Went to Jay’s Farmstand and bought a BOATLOAD of vegetables and herbs and that: onions, carrots, celery, peppers, bok choy, cabbage, bean sprouts, cilantro, basil, limes, apples, spaghetti squash.
- Went to Trader Joe’s for eggs and coffee and assorted ingredients. On a Saturday. (But it was early and no one tried to run me over in the not-big-enough parking lot, so yay!)
- Made beef pho broth, more or less, starting with blanching and roasting the bones and charring onions and ginger. Did the actually cooking in my Instant Pot. By the time it was done, I was too tired to deal with actually cutting up herbs and all that for pho, so that’s tomorrow’s fancy meal.
- Walked a lot, including to Wal-Mart for pho noodles. (I’d thought about using the spaghetti squash, but it’s going to be for another meal.) More than 5 miles. Slightly annoying side anecdote: they’ve switched to reusable bags here, or you can purchase a paper bag when you check out. Some stores have smaller paper bags you can have for free, but I always forget which ones. So at Wal-Mart I made my purchase, went to grab one of the little free bags to shuttle things home, and discovered they don’t have them. So I had to trudge several miles home openly carrying a box of rice noodles and a giant bottle of baby shampoo, and got more than a few bemused looks along the way. Yeah, staring people, go on and make up a story about me in your head. You know you want to.
- Cooked the spaghetti squash, so I have it done. (I’m going to make a chicken/basil/tomato saucey thing to go over the “pasta.”
- Made brownies to use up some almond flour–the plan is to freeze individually for those times when MUST HAVE SWEET. They are relatively OK brownies as brownies go. Ish.
But the lawn still needs mowed. Sigh.